23.6.07

Q Tip teaser



It's far too brief, but hey it's Q Tip freestyling on the mic at Yoyo NYC last week.
A Tribe Called Quest reformed last year for a 15 date US tour in support of a basketball video game (!) - if that's not a sign of the times I don't know what is.

Q Tip remains one of my fave MCs of all time, and ATCQ, probably my favourite ever band. So naturally I'm excited by any Q Tip or ATCQ moves. What I will say though, is I much prefer Q Tip's Kamaal The Abstract guise/LP (think pyschedelic soul a la Andre 3000, Ceee-Lo, but this is from 2001) to his pimpin playa character that emerged on Amplified in the immediate post ATCQ era.

The inside 'ledge is that his label thought Kamaal The Abstract was too far out there. And within two years Outkast blew up with exactly that sort of sound. Major record label short sightedness and conservatism strikes, again. If anyone has Kamaal The Abstract on vinyl, let me know, I would be willing to do all manner of silly things to get hold of it. Hat tip to Aaron Lacrate for the link/headz up.